The County of Santa Cruz, in conjunction with American Express and all of the local chambers and downtown associations, celebrate small business on Small Business Saturday, and throughout the month of December. Small Business Saturday is held on the Saturday after Thanksgiving, and is a day that reminds us to shop at local small businesses. Our county is comprised of over 10,000 small businesses with a huge range of products and services.
In addition, several of the communities have events going on that same weekend.
10 Reasons to Shop Local (Courtesy of Think Local First)
- Shopping Local Creates Local Jobs. Locally owned businesses in our town create local employment. Local business people and their employees in turn spend their money in the local community.
- Local Independent Shops Invest More in Our Communities. Local businesses are proportionately more generous in their support of local charities, schools, and community events. Support local shops means positive financial impact on your community.
- Local Shops Sell a Wide Range of Great Products at Affordable Prices. Many people fall out of the habit of shopping locally and are then surprised by the range of products and gifts available.
- Shopping Local Saves You Money. Out of town shops have done a good job of convincing us that local business equals expensive. If you add travel, fees to transfer items and your time, the overall cost is often much higher.
- Shopping Local Retains Our Communities. People don’t like losing shops and services in small towns but don’t equate this to how they spend their money. Spending money at locally owned businesses keeps lots of fine businesses alive.
- Shopping Local Retains Our Distinctiveness. Independent shops create distinctive shopping experiences and stock different products. Local businesses responds quickly to the needs of local customers, stocking products to meet the changing population needs.
- Shopping Local Saves the Environment. Local shops often stock a high percentage of locally sourced goods, which do not require long car and bus journeys, helping reduce our carbon footprint.
- Local Shops Are for Everyone. Most people can get to their local shops easily and this is especially important for the elderly and young generations and those without transportation.
- Local Shops Value You More. Evidence from numerous surveys show people receive better customer care and service locally. These businesses survive by their reputation and repeat business, which means you get a higher standard of service.
- Shopping Local Saves Services. Private and public sectors services tend to cluster around shops. As shops disappear so do hairdressers, banks, restaurants, etc.